Thursday, March 24, 2011

Seasons of Change

After 7 years of living in one place, I’m moving. In the process of sorting through and packing up my house, I’m finding all kinds of things - old trophies from when I used to play basketball (why in the world have I kept these for so long?), cassette tapes from middle school (Madonna, Alabama, Rob Base and D.J. E-Z Rock, Cake, 10,000 Maniacs – just to name a few), a cowboy hat I bought in Wyoming 8 years ago, my old landline phone and answering machine from college…the list goes on and on. It’s really been fun going down memory lane, while also reminding myself that I do not need or want most of this stuff – it all MUST go in the trash or yard sale pile!

Yesterday I came across a box buried in the top of my closet, labeled “2001-2002”. My first STINT year. I spent over an hour looking through all that was in this box – tons of pictures, letters, notes of encouragement, and small reminders of that year overseas. I also had junk in this box – can someone please tell me why I would keep samples of the wallpaper that my parent’s hung in their house while I was gone that year? Yes, in an effort to make me feel included in what was going on at home, my mother sent me samples of the wallpaper they were using as they remodeled our house that year, and for some reason I decided to not only keep that during my year in East Asia but also to pack it up and carry it across the ocean to then store in a box in my closet for the next 8 years. I digress…

Aside from viewing the wallpaper samples again, I read through every note and letter in the box – I had kept everything from long letters written from friends in America to short notes that my teammates had written and attached to flowers when I was sick – there were countless encouraging notes from my teammates from that year. Tears came as I was encouraged again, years after those notes had been written. What a sweet time to remember all that happened that year and how incredibly blessed I was to be working alongside of the amazing team God had provided for me.
My STINT team 2001-2002

Yesterday, I was reminded of God’s goodness and faithfulness to me that first year overseas. I was also reminded of the “seasons of friendships” in my life and how they are constantly changing. As I look back over my life, I am reminded of seasons of sweet, dear friends – from high school, from college, from my time living overseas, and a couple of different groups since I’ve been back in North Carolina.

As the seasons change, there is pain. Pain in the “good-byes”. Pain in the reality that things will change – they can’t stay the same. Yet, I am so grateful that God gives us these sweet friendships for seasons.

The seasons certainly change, but God has been the Constant running throughout. God is the friend that never moves, never leaves, never changes. I’m exceedingly grateful for the friendships with which I’ve been blessed over my years. However, I am far more grateful for the blessing and promise of His never-changing, constant presence in my life.

1 comment: